By| Published: October 5th, 2017
Do you spend most of your time indoors? Do you follow a strict vegan diet? Are you allergic or avoid milk and milk products? Then you might have vitamin D deficiency. Read further to know more about it!
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that helps the body to use calcium from the food we eat. Vitamin D is commonly known to keep the bones strong and prevent soft bone formation and skeletal deformities. However, a deep research on its importance and the role it plays in maintaining our health has revealed other health-related issues that are associated with vitamin D deficiency. A few of them being:
- Aches, pains, and tiredness
- Prone to hairline fracture
- Cardiovascular disease: Having a heart-related issue along with vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of death.
- Cognitive impairment in older adults
- Severe asthma in children
- Cancer, in few and rare cases
To conclude, generally the signs and symptoms of vitamin D deficiency are not severe and hence, go unnoticed. Increasing the time of sun exposure and eating foods with vitamin D rich foods will contribute to keeping the levels right. However, in case of any doubts and queries, always consult your healthcare provider for correct diagnosis and timely treatment.