By| Published: March 18th, 2016
Turmeric adds colour, flavour and health to every meal. Used for centuries in Ayurveda and Chinese medicine, this incredible spice is now used in Western medicine as well.
All the health benefits of turmeric are due to curcumin, a compound that gives it its bright colour.
- Anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-parasitic, wound-healing and anti-malarial properties
- Curbs the symptoms of indigestion: upset stomach, bloating, gas, heartburn and IBS
- Reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes
- Provides relief for Rheumatoid Arthritis and Cystic Fibrosis sufferers
- Inhibits the growth and spread of cancer cells in the head, neck, skin, colon and prostate
- Prevents the synthesis of a protein responsible for tumour formation
- Protects the brain from Alzheimer’s disease
- Enhances the benefits of chemotherapy
- Add turmeric powder to egg salad to give it an even bolder yellow colour and mild flavour
- Add it to curries, brown rice and other dishes and season them with cumin and coriander
- Steamed cauliflower, green beans and onions with turmeric taste delicious
- Mix a dash of turmeric to salad dressings for a pretty orange hue
- Olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, turmeric and lentils make a great and healthy dish