By| Published: March 2nd, 2016
Hot, bright and sharp – summer is the season of pitta. It is important that you stay cool and comfortable as much as you can.
• Wear loose fitting clothes that allow air circulation and cool the body.
• Wear clothing made of silk or cotton. These are light and allow the skin to breathe.
• Wear colours like white, grey, blue, purple, and green. Avoid red, orange, dark yellow, and black.
• Include fruits like apples, pears, melons, plums, watermelon and prunes.
• Eat more salads for lunch in summer than at any other time, as they are cooling.
• Try steamed asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cucumber raita, and basmati rice.
• Avoid dark meats. Eat only light meats like chicken, turkey, or shrimp – once a week.
• Avoid sour fruits, citrus fruits, and even beets and carrots.
• Garlic, onion, chilli, tomato, sour cream, and salted cheeses are also not recommended.
• If you cook, cook in the early morning or in the evening.
• Room temperature or cool drinks are best. A refreshing drink is cool lassi or limewater.
• Don’t drink hot water or hot drinks in the summer.
• Don’t drink cold or iced drinks. They inhibit digestion and create toxins in the body.
• Avoid whiskey, brandy, rum, and red wine. Some cool beer is all right.
• Avoid strenuous exercise. If you are used to running or other vigorous aerobic exercise, do it early in the morning, which is the coolest part of the day.
• Do some mild yoga exercises twice a day.
• Good postures for summer include the Fish, Camel, Boat, Cobra, Cow, and Palm Tree.
• Go to bed a little later on summer nights, around 11 P.M. or midnight.
• Rub some coconut oil on your scalp and the soles of your feet to cool your body.
• Sandalwood, jasmine, and khus oils are cooling and are good fragrances for the summer.
• Put a few drops on your pillow before sleeping to enjoy the perfume all night.
• In the morning, rub 5 to 6 ounces of coconut oil or sunflower oil on your body before bathing. Coconut oil is calming, cooling, and soothing.
Eat right, sleep well and dress sensibly to stay comfortable and healthy this summer!