By| Published: June 15th, 2016
Anger, anxiety, stress, tension, frustration and irritability lead to maladaptation of the endocrine system, which causes conditions like high blood pressure. Hypertension leads to untimely death due to lack of control and management at the appropriate time. Ayurvedic herbs and blood pressure remedies that a help control hypertension are well known since time immemorial.
Here are a few:
- Celery (Ajwain) lowers pressure by reducing the blood concentration of stress hormones that cause blood vessels to constrict. It is a good and natural treatment.
- Indian gooseberry (Amla) is effective in lowering blood pressure. Eat amla with honey in the morning as a herbal remedy.
- Eating crushed cloves with honey twice a week is also recommended.
- Drinking warm milk mixed with saraswat powder is also effective in high blood pressure control and management.
- Lemon contains Vitamin C that prevents the capillaries from becoming fragile. It is effective in controlling hypertension.
- Watermelon safeguards against high blood pressure and also helps in widening the blood vessels (vasodilation), which decrease blood pressure.
- Boiled potatoes and vegetable that contain magnesium are effective in reducing high blood pressure.
- Calcium and potassium help remove sodium to control the working of the vascular system. Hence, calcium and potassium rich fruits and vegetables like potatoes, dried tomatoes, bananas, figs, peaches, beans, apricots, etc. help in controlling hypertension
- Olive oil contains monounsaturated fat that lowers both systolic as well as diastolic pressure.
- 20% carbohydrate, 10-15 % protein and 60-65% vegetables is the ideal diet to control hypertension.
- The best way to address hypertension is using 1 mg of garlic thrice a day along with mustard and onion.
- Ashwagandha preparations are also found to be effective to treat hypertension.
Herbs like Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentina), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Shankapushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Chandana (Santalum album), Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi), Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), Tagara (Valerinia wallichi), etc. are effective in hypertension treatment.
Herbs like aloe, barberry, katuka, gotu kola, calamus, valerian, skullcap, cayenne, myrrh, motherwort, hawthorn and jatamamsi should be given priority, as these are known Ayurvedic remedies for this condition.
The increasing number of hypertensive patients indicates that we are neglecting the natural way of living by turning to an unnatural modern lifestyle. Ensure that you eat plenty of vegetables and fruits and exercise regularly to control your weight and keep your blood pressure in the normal range.